Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Elizabeth in a glass house May 6, 2011

You caught me, this wasn't really a glass house, but it is an intimate museum featuring works of art in glass.

The exterior of Liuli Museum, a former clock and watch accessories factory.
Liuli is the ancient Chinese word for glass or glass art.


The stainless steel flower on the museum exterior is called This Peony Will Bloom II. In Chinese culture, the peony represents riches and honour. There are over 5,025 stainless steel petals on this installation. 

The founders of the museum had a thing for geese.
I can't remember the significance. 


The fowl were found in the cafe as well.



I love this modern take on a Ming Dynasty official's hat chair.
I could see this in my Toronto house,
minus the lamp on the seat that keeps off would-be sitters.


On to the exhibits

Ancient personal adornments made of glass




Vase by French artist, Galle
I could definitely see this in my Toronto house.


Glass box by Japanese artist, Fujita


Elegant 

 This piece is titled "City".
Check out the rim.
I'd like this in my house, too.


Glass Buddha




This piece with bubbles was one of several shown in a darkened room, 
a very effective presentation.


A gorgeous vase showcasing two different types of glass.



All in all, Liuli Museum was a charming spot for lunch and a quiet dose of culture. 

No comments: