Monday, August 1, 2011

Elizabeth wets her Topsiders at the Shanghai Yacht and Boat Club-Part One- May 15, 2011

Can you believe I was lucky enough to be invited here?  I am very blessed; I have friends in gooood places.  I must have behaved myself because I was allowed welcomed back. What's equally amazing is that Shanghai even has a yacht club. The term is used loosely here. I'm not being snarky, even our generous hostess, Eliza, would agree. Terminology aside, it was wonderful to get out of the city and into the fresh air, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

For those of you who were unfortunate enough to have been forced signed up for sailing lessons as a child, these photos will bring back memories.

Happy junior sailors rigging their adorable dinghies




The price of the sailing lessons will make parents everywhere outside China envious, 270 RMB for six all-day lessons. That converts to $40. I know. It just isn't fair.

This looked familiar, too.
Flat calm (add your own South Shore accent, you know what I mean, D & W)


Like pee on a plate

The junior sailors were probably just as happy 


Almost ready to cast off and sail drift away

Another area of the Yacht Club where boats 
were being readied.


The architecture gives the club a
unique Chinese flavour.

Speaking of that, these buildings were used for sail 
and equipment storage.



Detail of roof




Closer look at the overhang


Detail again


The club's pier


I don't think we're at the
Squadron any more, Toto.

Western style facility where we signed out the 
various watercraft.


We started first with kayaks.


Of course I wore a skirt.
A lady can do any activity in a skirt.
Yeah, I use the term "lady" loosely as well.


So far, so good.


Trying to get away from the 
boat "Ring Tong Riddle Eye Poo"


I know! 
The Reluctant Relocator was 
actually kayaking! Alert the media!



A little bit of a disconnect in my mind...
Western boating with iconic Chinese structures in the background


Eliza was a pro.


We paddled down the waterway and
saw some interesting things.

Buddhist temple


Retirement home for Haibo,
the Shanghai Expo mascot.


Eliza with bridge


Time for lunch so we could refuel
for the next activity.


O.K., this was not a typical lunch at
the Shanghai Yacht and Boat Club.


Nor was this oom-pah-pah band
the typical entertainment.
It was International Day, a special
promotional event designed to attract potential new members.

After lunch, we went sailing.
I can't remember why we had "company".
We were on a lake, it's not like we could escape sail that far away.
I'll have to ask Eliza.


I think I introduced him to the fine art
of hiking down a boat.


Yeeeehaaaw!
Some fun!
But wait, there's more!
Part Two...


No comments: