Monday, August 13, 2012

Tramping through Thamestown April 9, 2012


Shanghai is jam packed with contradictions. To wit, an English town in a Chinese suburb. My friend Eliza and I were driven to find out more.

Our first stop was the church.


Eliza exterior


Church interior


Stained glass...or is it?


Yeah, let's just go for the terrifying Old Testament near-miss filicide.
That always makes for a a cheery picture.

Somethin' kinda eeee about the proportions in this betrayal theme scene.
What's with all the happy subjects?


Aha! Not really stained glass! What?!? A fake?!? In China?!? Noooooo!!


Look up, waaaaay up...


Outside, the bridal couples were having a field day (ar, ar).


You all have seen this uniquely Chinese phenomenon before. Couples who are getting married rent their outfits and go to various photogenic venues around Shanghai for their "wedding day" photos. I think this was a record number of couples in one spot.

Faux Tudor architecture with Mandarin signage,
my favourite combo.


Here's something you don't see every day.


More buildings



Guess who?


Yes, it was I.


Yes, this is who you think it is supposed to be. So weird.


I love how the grandmothers come out with their grandchildren to watch all the goings on.


Brides and grooms in all directions.





Bride and groom mobile


Eliza and I played the English version of Superman.



Odd choices for mosaics


I had no idea Klimt was English.
Gee, you learn something new every day.


Speaking of strange tile work...


Two ladies for tea!




I love things found out of context.

No comments: