Friday, October 21, 2011

Elizabeth co-ordinates a walking tour Sept 28, 2011

I know! So exciting! One of my new responsibilities this "term" is walking tour co-ordinator for the tours run by Spencer Dodington for the Shanghai Expat Association (SEA). This means I collect the money and make sure no one gets lost during the walk. 


It's important to dress the part.


Finally! Truth-in-advertising for humans.
Yes, I have family and friends who think this 
T shirt was made with me in mind.

Now, I know all y'all have seen Yu Gardens before, so you won't be seeing photos of it again, unless I have something new and exciting to tell you. With Spencer's tours, one always learns something new. He runs Luxury Concierge China and is an expert on Chinese architecture and culture and speaks fluent Mandarin and Chinese. Yeah, I know. Very accomplished and a super nice and funny guy with a great Texan accent.  Here's his website if you are ever looking for an incredible tour guide:

 http://www.luxuryconciergechina.com/

Anyway, on to the tour.


This is a typical traditional Chinese building in the Yu Gardens Bazaar. It's not old, it just looks that way. The interesting feature to note are the water dragons on the peaks of the roof. They act as protectors against fire. 

Into Yu Gardens where Spencer was doing what he does best. 



See the coin details in the table?


Those are for wealth. Sorry for explaining the obvious.

One good feature of Yu Gardens is that they recycle all sorts of items,
 including carved rocks.


A previously-enjoyed pile of stonework...


...including a gravestone from a Chinese Catholic cemetery!
(Turn your heads sideways, folks.)

The tour continued.


We left Yu Yuan Gardens and moved on to the City God Temple.
Yes, you've seen this before. It's just been a while. 

 A monk!


Stylized cloud symbols. They are good luck because the Mandarin word for "cloud" (yuan) sounds like "money" (yuan-OK, fill in the tones yourself).




It was great tour! I learned a lot and I didn't lose a single person. I guess the SEA will let me keep this gig. 

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Great, Elizabeth, Nicci and I are getting our walking muscles in shape. Love to go on a tour like this one -- hopefully soon -- love your Blog.