Thursday, November 24, 2011

Elizabeth experiences three degrees of separation Oct 11-21, 2011

I am very fortunate in that total strangers, based on nothing more than a kind word from a friend of a friend,  actually want to spend time with me when they come to Shanghai and they trust me to show them around...suckers!!! No, really, they do have a good time, or at least that's what they tell me...


The latest friend of a friend of a friend (not a typo) was Monica, who was in Shanghai for two weeks. We did some of the usual activities, like the South Bund Fabric Market, which I will not inflict on you again, and some different things which you will see, just hold your horses!


So here we go, completely out of order, but who cares?


First photo up, a champagne luncheon with the Shanghai Expat Association (SEA) to hear author, Paul French, speak on his latest book, "Midnight in Peking". 



Monica had her book signed and bought one for me, too!
See? She must have had a good time with me.
Thanks, Monica.

The next photos were taken towards the end of her visit. We went to Red Town. What is Red Town? I knew you were going to ask, so check out my previous post. Ah, man! I can't even find that one. Read this instead:

City Weekend Shanghai Says 
The remains of the old Shanghai No. 10 Steel factory in Hongqiao now houses the Shanghai Sculpture Museum and a collection of cafes, gift shops, galleries and offices. Pitched as a "creative zone," it has become popular with families and weekenders who come to picnic among the freestanding sculptures in the grassy central areas.





One of these clowns is not like the others...


Caught me!

On another day, I took Monica to Fuxing Park and 
she tried out the exercise equipment.


On yet another day, we visited Qi Bao, a water town in Shanghai.


Yours truly buying bread, a safe bet, from a local vendor.


This last event was probably the most exciting one!
I scored tickets to a fashion show during Shanghai Fashion Week.



Waiting to enter the huge tent that had been 
set up in Fuxing Park.


In the tent, VIP section, naturally.


The hoi polloi outside wondering who we were.


Riiiight...these were the celebrities they were trying to snap.


No, I had, and still have, no clue as to who these two are.

We didn't know these guys either, but that didn't stop us from getting up close and personal.




Yes, obviously they were models.
Speaking of models, I snuck a peek backstage.



The show was about to begin!


It started with a ballet of sorts.














You can tell I found the opening very interesting.

There were also live drummers.


Bring on the fashion!







Hey! This was our backstage model friend!

More fashion...




The end of the show and Monica's last day.

So pay attention all you friends of friends of friends! 
Come to Shanghai! 
You never know what sort of glamourous activities await!

No comments: