Sunday, January 15, 2012

The "boys" are back in town! Christmas 2011

This song was running through my mind before Jay and Hare's visit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ham6vFy8v2I

You know I couldn't resist! You guessed it, that classic by Thin Lizzy! Now you can't resist! Go on, I'll wait. You'll be glad you took the time to scoot over to YouTube. Hey! You can listen and read! What a concept! I love multi-media.

"Boys"... hardly! Hare is now 18 years old and Jay celebrated his 21st while here in Shanghai. My, how time flies when you've been suffering having fun...

Like all good stories, this one starts with a turkey.


Say "hello" to Jean Dindon, a 17.64 pound beauty that was delivered December 20.

I am thrilled to have found a source in Shanghai for juicy, delicious turkey.
My friends living here understand and you, C.

The nice people who delivered Jean. 


While the boys (I'm just going to call them that) arrived December 19, they didn't really get out of the house until two days later when I dragged took them to Hongqiao Flower Market to select our Christmas tree.

City Weekend Says 

Hongqiao Market is one of the most comprehensive bird and flower markets in Shanghai. The outdoor vendors and the huge hall offers freshly cut flowers, potted flowers, bedding plants, leafy plants, fake flowers, ornamental fish and much more.


Off we went! 


So happy to have all those smiling faces together again. 

Closing in our prey at Hongqiao Market


The following is probably not the most flattering photo of Hare, but I have made an executive decision about this Christmas holiday post and here it is: I gave up trying to get a decent shot of all three of them, so if one of them was goofing around, but I liked the photo anyway, it was posted. No more allowances made for Monkey Children.


This tree was the one!

Not exactly the same kind of tree we'd get in Canada,
but a reasonable facsimile and we were all happy.


W, I read your mind. Yes, I will take you here next time you're in town.


Vivian's turn to be silly. 


Awww!!! Look at my "babies"! 
We had also bought some tree ornaments at Hongqiao. 

This reminded me of the Grinch and how he stuffed the tree up.


Our driver Xu Jiong and Hare wrestled the tree into submission.

The same evening we all went to a so-called Christmas market in the French Concession. I say "so-called" because I was expecting something more in the holiday mode, but the capoeira demonstration was very entertaining. 



Jay's turn to look slightly touched. 
See what I mean? So hard to get a good one of everyone! 
Still, a good time was had by all. Free beer will have that effect on people. 

Anyway, the next day, was tree decoration day. 

Photos here are self-explanatory. I'll let you be the judge of who was being a doofus.
I'll give you a hint, it was not I (right, Dad?).








Ah, yeah.




Vivian's "Nightmare Before Christmas" themed ornaments


One of the cheap but cheerful balls Vivian and I had bought earlier at 
Yu Gardens Commodity Market, that corn maze on crack, says my friend Cynthia.


Jay's Santa ornament, his chosen new decoration for the year


Glitter, the herpes of the craft world, according to Vivian, was e-very-where. 

Ta dah!


The crowning touch


An angel is the only option, as far as I'm concerned. There are star people and angel people and I am firmly planted in the latter camp. While this wing-ed creature was not the Italian wax-faced, green velvet-gowned, lute-playing beauty I have back in Toronto, she fit the bill.

A good part of the afternoon on December 24 was spent helping to decorate the tent where my church was to hold its Candlelight Service in conjunction with another church.


Individuals of the gingerbread persuasion made by the younger church-goers


Arrrr, matey!


The family and I returned that evening for the service.


After the service, it was home to enjoy Rakesh's traditional
Christmas Eve meal of shepherd's pie.


Nice face, Jay.


That's better. Maybe there is hope after all.


I spoke too soon.


Yeah, this is how we really are, all the time. Suuuurrrrre...

The tree in all its glory on Christmas Eve


We read our stories, the Bible (Luke's version), "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "'Twas the Night Before Christmas".

The stockings were hung on the bannister with care before we all headed off to bed. 


Yes, I made these, in a fit of domesticity years ago.

Santa did find the children in Shanghai and they had a lot of fun
Christmas morning discovering what he had brought them.









The Kinder eggs were a big hit. Some things haven't changed since they were five. 

Then it was on to opening presents.


Showin' the love...


Go, Habs, go!



Hare and Vivian cracked open the China version of Monopoly right away.




I didn't recognize any of these properties.


That evening, Carla, TJ, Kris and Dujon, Pepperdine University students and Christmas "orphans" Rakesh and I had befriended, joined us for the turkey fest.


Yes, I actually cooked! I only really do it twice a year, so it had better be delicious. 
It was.


You can't tell, but the potatoes were garlic mashed and the carrots brown sugar glazed. The stuffing was "old school" (thank you, Betty Crocker) and Jean was juicy and done perfectly. For dessert we had pumpkin pie, of course, and Turkish coffee pudding (Vivian's request).


The Reluctant Relocator in a shot. You also get to see the other end of the table. Exciting!

Speaking of exciting, we had Christmas crackers. 


Somebody really liked his prize. 

Boxing Day (December 26 for my American friends and family)
was spent digesting and watching TV.

The day after it was the Forced Family Portrait. I figured since we were all in Shanghai and who knew when all of us would be together again, let's just go for the gusto and have our family picture taken by a true professional, Gangfeng Wang. If that name sounds familiar, kudos to you. I went to his home last year; it was a Shanghai Expat Association event. He spoke about growing up in China during the Cultural Revolution. Interesting insights, to say the least. Gangfeng Wang spent time in Canada (yah!) before returning to Shanghai. He is very well known here in the city and has done many, many family portraits. I was hoping my crew wouldn't be too much of a challenge, but then Gangfeng is a much better photographer than I will ever be!

Here are my amateur shots. When I can, I will post the professional pix on Flickr. Don't hold your breath though.





Gangfeng's trusted assistant re-positioning the Monkey Children them.


Oooh, a little grim, kiddies!


That's better!


After the photo shoot, we wandered over to Wu Jiang Road, a.k.a. Food Street, to source out a particular dumpling restaurant called Wang's, recommended by Gangfeng.


The aforementioned famous dumplings


I liked the fried bottom. Oh, yes, nothing like a fried bottom. 

Look how hungry the kids were. See how fast they ate!


Not really.
I just liked the unintentional special effect.
No chance of ever duplicating that!

In focus and during various stages of dumpling consumption.


The neighbourhood where the shoot took place.


I love these old lanes. 

Squint your eyes (I know you will) and try to imagine how pretty these detailed 
entrances were without the wires and wear.


Wall with pictures depicting the area in days gone by.


Close up


I guess this neighbourhood has long been used by professional photographers.


 On December 27 the boys decided that a trip to the Fabric Mart was in order.


Lookin' very su-wave and de-bone-air, Jay.


Not so much, Hare.



I gave up after this one. He does have a flair for the dramatic though.


Jay was a little nervous with the tailor that close to his stuff.

The boys were able to pick up their shirts before they left Shanghai, but the suits required more time. Fortunately, I have a "suit mule" who will take them back to the States and then mail them to Canada.
Thank you, E!

Next big event and what an event it was, Jay's 21st birthday. I know! How did that happen?!? We celebrated in style on the 28th by first heading out to The Alchemist, a fancy bar in Sinan Mansions, so that the birthday "boy" could sample the molecular cocktails he'd been dying to try.


Molecular he got!
What you see here is dry ice creating the Sauvignon Blanc fog for
the La Flora Fixe cocktail.

Hare indulged in a very potent Mojito.


Cheers to Jay!


Dinner was at Table One, a restaurant in the South Bund, where this
photographer took a break and simply enjoyed her oldest's birthday.

We didn't surface again until December 30 when I made encouraged everyone to get out and see something of the city besides the interior walls of our living room. Hare could not be persuaded. He must really like walls.

First stop, the Insect Market.


Checking out the crickets.


Spot the waigouren.




Didn't they look thrilled that they had agreed to this excursion?



Beads
I know. I have a flair for stating the obvious.

More wares


We left the Insect Market and crossed the street to Dong Tai Lu Antique Market.



Still thrilled.

Antiques as old as seven weeks!


Every time I come here, I can't help but sing that song, "Only for Americans" from the musical, "Miss Liberty". (Apologies for not italicizing or using quotation marks properly or whatever it was I was supposed to do. I am too lazy to check with conflicting web sources and my papyrus Grade 9 "Elements of Style" by Strunk-Oh! Blast from the past!-has crumbled long ago. Boy! That was a digression! I am just so pleased my peri-menopausal brain could recall all that. OK, I did have web help. Enough, Elizabeth!)  


We meandered out of Dong Tai Lu and drove over to Yu Gardens.


Perking up a bit there. I will spare you all the photos of things you've already seen here.


This was funny! In the shopping area near Yu Garden, there are these fellows selling those plastic ponytail makers. The guys often use a woman from the crowd to demonstrate their product. Guess who they picked? Yep! What's interesting to note is the crowd that gathered behind her. Have a look.




She should have received a commission for having helped increase sales.

Here's what Hare and Jay bought on the 31st.


I don't know if you can make it out, but it was one of those remote controlled helicopters.
They each got one and it provided minutes of endless enjoyment.

Jay didn't get a birthday cake on his actual day and I knew I wouldn't feel right until we had all sung "Happy Birthday" to him, so I bought this ice cream cake to make the celebration complete. Besides, now that he's universally legal, it's time to start training him for the hardship that is birthday week. Oh, how I suffer during mine!


Awwww! Happy birthday! I felt better!


Hare and Jay went out New Year's Eve; Vivian stayed in, as did Rakesh and I.
Woo hoo! Another night of reckless abandon. I was in bed at 10:00pm.
Rock on at the gates of heck!

Happy New Year!
Family brunch at the Westin, where your placemat serves as a map. You need it to navigate the two floors of food and drink stations. S, you would have loved the themes! 



The Courtyard below
We were on the second floor.


There was music and dancing and acrobats.



Next thing you know, the Chinese will be claiming they invented River Dance.

A small sampling from Chocolate Valley, the happiest place in the world!











Yes, it was definitely indulgent and not to be repeated any time soon, if ever, but it was a very special way to conclude Jay and Hare's visit. They left January 2, 2012. Cue the sweaty eyeballs. I really hope they enjoyed themselves and want to come back for next Christmas.

No comments: