Saturday, January 21, 2012

Elizabeth goes to the theatre January 8, 2012


You have to say the title with a fake, poncy English accent. Come on. Humour me. Just do it. See? Wasn't that fun? Guess who got free (my favourite price) tickets to the Grand Theatre to see "African Footprint"? Of course! The Reluctant Relocator! I won, yes, won them. I took my friend Gabrielle with me. As it says on their website, this is what the show was about:

Since its inaugural performance in front of Nelson Mandela and world leaders on Robben Island on Millennium eve “African Footprint” has gone on to become South Africa’s longest running musical, thrilling and entertaining people all over the world. With its raw energy, talent, spirit and passion, “African Footprint” has played to standing ovations in the USA, China, Australia, Monte Carlo, Europe, Israel, India, Mexico, Lebanon, France, not forgetting its home base in South Africa and is now set to embark on a whole new international tour!
An exhilarating journey through Africa’s history, culture and spirit, “African Footprint” has set new standards in the world of dance and music. Its dancers, singers and drummers – drawn from South Africa’s cities, townships and rural areas alike - have gone on to amazing success stories in their own right, proving the power and talent of ‘Africa’s children’…with the show now as much their success as that of anyone else.
Ten years after its World Premiere on the 11th May, 2000 “African Footprint” continues to bring something uniquely African to global audiences and is truly a show that cannot be rivalled, and one that should not be missed.


Even Shanghai has scalpers.  



He was naturally a little hesitant to pose for a photo, 
so I had to make do with blurry.

The Grand Theatre



Remember seeing this before on my post about People's Square?
Sure you do!


Me with my free tickets.
So excited!

African drummers warmed up the audience as they entered the building.


The stage


See how they made Africa look like a foot? You get it? Huh, huh, you get it?

Gabrielle and I really enjoyed the show. It was energetic, imaginative and at times, humourous. "African Footprints" was also a refreshing break from non-stop Chinese culture.

The lobby after the show


Now that I've been once, I might actually come to the Grand 
Theatre again and even pay for it.

No comments: