Monday, January 2, 2012

Tang Si puts on a show Dec 14, 2011

As many of my fabulous and faithful readers know, I started volunteer teaching last September at Tang Si migrant school through an organization called Stepping Stones. I teach Physics, Math and Chemistry. Riiight... 'cause you all know how I excelled in those subjects. My subject is English, of course! I am incredibly lucky to be teaching with my seasoned partners-in-crime Esther, Eliza and Yan, as well as new friends Kristen and Tory. Our teaching team rocks! 

On this occasion, the Tang Si students wanted to perform for the volunteer teachers as a way of showing their appreciation. I feel that I get way more out of the experience than my students, but Stepping Stones says that test scores for students who have native speakers teaching them are higher than those who don't. I am surprised pleased and thrilled to apparently be making a difference. 

On with the show!

The Grade 2 class danced to a classical Chinese poem. 
You all know how to scroll fast for that video effect.









Too cute!

Next, Grade 3 with their dance performance.










The Grade 4 teacher we work with, Miss Wang.


VIDEO HERE!!!!



In my dreams...despite repeated attempts over many days at various times,
it was not to be.

Pretend this is a video of our Grade 4 students.


Imagine them singing along to "Old MacDonald Has a Farm". Pretend that you can hear the British accent on the DVD that was accompanying them. See the students dancing in a circle around the farmer and pretending they were the various animals? Adorable! The only good about this not being a video is that you were spared my inane commentary. 

Grade 5 played "We Will Rock You".


Last, but not least, and definitely the cutest, the Grade 1 students sang for us.


The student audience


Not all the students were in attendance. I think only the best and
the brightest were invited to perform for  the volunteer teachers.

Then it was our turn! YIKES! 


No, it wasn't the Elizabeth Patel Show. How many of you know I wouldn't have minded that in the least? I bravely, yeah that's it, bravely got up first. Thankfully, the other teachers followed and we sang a rousing rendition of "Jingle Bells", complete with the musical accompaniment of jangling key chains. Hey! A teacher's got to be able to think on her feet and improvise.


Yours truly with fellow teacher and Canadian, Esther.
She saw how much fun we were having last year and joined us.
I am thrilled to have her on board.

The volunteer Tang Si teachers with school principal


 Eliza is to my left. She jumped in with both feet this year and
 I so appreciate her ideas and energy.

I can hardly wait to start teaching again after Chinese New Year!

1 comment:

Jeff S said...

All the volunteer teachers, you are a wonderful group of humanitarians. I am especially proud of my daughter Eliza's role as a volunteer educator. She embodies the spirit of sharing and caring that mean so much to our family.