Thursday, August 26, 2010

Elizabeth goes to Expo Aug 19, 2010





I figure I had to do it. The last time I went to Expo was in 1967 when it was in Montreal.
  Still looking relatively fresh.
Not completely drenched in my own perspiration yet.
If only I had worn those sponge pants that Bob wears.
So much easier to wring out.




The China Pavilion



Let me be completely frank, for a change. I was totally underwhelmed. Any of you Torontonians remember Caravan? Well, Expo seemed to be like that, only sweatier and more crowded. I honestly don't know what all the hoopla is about.  Maybe I didn't visit the right pavilions. I did enjoy myself, but I would have also enjoyed having my legs waxed. I did learn about Brunei and their displays did pique my curiosity about their country and possibly going there while we're overseas.

Part of the Expo experience is the line-ups. Let's say the Chinese have a very different sense of personal space, especially in line-ups. It's neither right nor wrong, it just is. There is a lot of "encouraging" the person in front of you, man, woman or child, to move up in the line. The good news is that I felt absolutely no qualms about staking my own personal space. If you are looking for lots of jostling and sweaty contact with fellow human beings, then head on out to Expo.

Sign posted on the awning covering the line-up.
The first part of the sentence is directed at the local Chinese.
The second part of the sentence is directed at me.
I tell you, managing my attitude is a full-time 24/7 job.




Of course, I had to visit the Canada Pavilion. So sad, so lame. Really. I mean really. The organizers could have a much better job at showcasing our fabulous country. The displays consisted of a few backlit shots of Toronto and some virtual animated bike ride through a "typical" Canadian city. The push-free line-up and Moosehead beer were the most quintessentially Canadian aspects of the pavilion. Oh, well, there's always the next Expo.






Enough of my whinging, here are the more pleasant and amusing sights.
The Thailand Pavilion. Too bad all the pavilions will be torn done after Expo.

Pretending I'm in Havana at the Cuba Pavilion which was basically a seatless bar the size of a large Starbucks.  Refreshing mojitos though!

Very cool mural on the Belarus Pavilion. The person on the left gives you an idea of the mural's size.


And finally.....

Sign at one of Expo's public drinking fountains. I'd love to know what "beasting a faucet" looks like!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Mike said basically the same thing...not that interesting and a lot of people.