Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Elizabeth's first self-guided walking tour Aug 22, 2010

Especially amusing as this is in a city park


And this shall be a sign unto you... No enjoyment here or now or ever!! 
Get back to work!!


There's a magazine here called "Time Out Shanghai" which is like "Toronto Life", but free (my favourite price). In the July issue of this publication, they laid out six walks, all in unique areas of  Shanghai. I decided to take on the longest, furthest-from-my-house, self-guided walking tour as my first adventure. Typical, I know.

After being directionally-challenged twice on Shanghai's massive 12-line subway system, and once after I  surfaced to the sidewalk, I finally found Hongqiao Park, the starting point for my tour.

I found this sign at one of the several fountains, essentially telling people to keep out of the water. It did look tempting though, even the scummy, stagnant shallow end. Temperatures in the high 30s and  humidity in the 90s will do that to a relatively sane woman.

Anyway, I continued on from the sculpture-filled park to the residential area, peeking down laneways, taking in the garden homes built in the 1930s and the local people going about their daily lives. There was one street in particular, Amherst Road, constructed in 1925, that was outstanding in its tree-shaded splendour. The leaves were so thick, the sun barely penetrated,  a welcome relief for someone like me, unaccustomed to the heat of a sub-tropical city.

Then look what I came upon....



Helloooooo Kittay!


Rising up like a sugar cube confection, this two-storey ode to Japanese marketing genius and everything that is pink and girly and sparkly and cute. Too bad Vivian isn't younger...too bad I'm not younger, by about 40 years. You'll be glad to know I did not go in for a portrait. That would just be too odd on my own. See how much self-restraint I'm learning in Shanghai?

After tromping around for a good two hours, I was ready for a pit-stop. This place, Cotton's, came highly recommended. I concur with the write-up in "Time Out Shanghai" ..."a beautiful terrace with decent drinks and service." 











The only thing missing are my Canadian friends and family....




















1 comment:

jenn said...

i thouroughly enjoy your blog... you write with honest wit and sarcasim... a good read. 'cottons' looks wonderful. i truly truly wish i could have shared it with you. the blog and pics help with that wish. keep it up i am looking forward to hearing about the rest of the walks. xo j*