Monday, September 6, 2010

Elizabeth does lunch on the Bund Sept 2, 2010-Part 2

O.K. and we're back.

Here's the actual lunch. I'm not going to attempt any "fancy" formatting, not even accents on the French words, so this should only take one hour to post instead of two. Sheesh.

As an amuse-bouche (although technically, I think it was too big to be called that), the waiter brought us a tuna mousse, served cunningly in the tuna can.



Delicious! Not too fishy, slight salty tang, great texture.

Next, I had the beef carpaccio. This was not your typical thinly sliced carpaccio, as you can see. It was downright chunky!



Esther had the pate. We shared. I was glad because her appetizer was amazing. Sorry, I didn't get a picture of it. I know you photo-taking foodies are disappointed in me. You know who you are!

For the main course, Esther ordered the beef bourguignon. Not only did it taste wonderful, the presentation was clever.



Those are mashed potatoes accompanying the beef bourguignon.

I had the beef steak as my main course.  Are you sensing a theme here? Bring on the red meat and my favourite condiment, MAYONNAISE! Garlic no less. Am I happy or what?!? Look how much they gave me!



I did not eat those green weeds that came as a side dish, but I did eat the yellow and red cherry tomato salad.




I can hear my kids groaning now, "Mum, you are so white!"

How can you not love garlic mayonnaise? But I obsess, on to dessert.

Esther finished her meal with this lovely, interesting gelato stuffed sugared lemon with a shortbread straw. My cafe liegeois, while heavenly tasting, was not photo-worthy.



The meal was excellent and it was so good to relax and joke with a fellow Canadian. I am looking forward to more lunches like this one. Good thing I know where the gym is!

1 comment:

Brian Porter said...

Liz...why didn't you just have another bowl of mayo for dessert?