Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Elizabeth visits the Insect Market Oct 27, 2010

I am so far behind with my blog! I need to stop going on tours and doing stuff so I can write about what I've already done. Riiiight, as if that would ever happen with me!

Again, a professionally led tour with a native Shanghailander, June, out in front. By the way, we did really see live insects and small damp animals, so if you're squeamish, scroll ahead. No snakes, though.

Before we entered the Insect Market, some street scenes.


Hair trim in a lane way of a longtang.


Looking sharp!

This fellow was busy doing something to this clay container. I couldn't figure it out just then, but I learnt later. Pay attention!

Smoothing down the interior...


... then inspecting it.


Here we go! Into the Insect Market! 




It took us all of two steps to see something really interesting. 


Guess what's in these little boxes? Crickets! There were so many stalls selling them.

Close up
I hate glare. Sorry. Still have to work on that.



I hope you can make out the little crickets and the red circle that is actually a one-way opening so people can...



... listen to the cricket! 

People purchase crickets based on the music the insect makes. They want that cricket sound in their home because Shanghai is just not noisy enough. No, really it's because people want the sounds of nature in their homes and these bugs are an easy and economical way to do it. Makes sense to me. 


A merchant selling small crickets and in the jars to his right...



No thanks.

Moving on to aforementioned small damp animals, but no snakes! Don't worry!


Salmonella City



Are they pets? Are they food? Who knows? At least they're eye-catching.

A new friend of mine coined the term "foodpet". I think that pretty much sums it up. These animals swing both ways. You can keep them as pets 'til you're hungry.

Continuing up the food chain...


Birds, birds everywhere!


Lovely detail on the wooden cage


If you can't see it, you have to take my word for it. This bird had pretty blue and white porcelain dishes in its cage. Ming dynasty, I believe. Much like the little crickets, birds are prized for their songs. Again, a valued piece of nature in the huge city. The elderly, male owners take their caged pets out for "walks" in the many city parks. Kind of odd, I agree.


One of the few times I saw pigeons in Shanghai. I was thrilled they were in a cage. You simply don't see them out on the street. Food? Pet? Here is where "foodpet" comes in handy. The pigeon can be either/or, just like the frogs or turtles. I prefer the former for the pigeon.

Moving up the food chain yet again...


Ah, yes, the sign of the chinchilla. 
I like the store's motto. 
If you're going to do chinchilla, that's the only way to do it.


So cute, so soft...
I may have found another hobby.

Here's the trim, I mean the other.


I wonder how many it would take...? 

Last on the food chain, I found this frustrated feline.


Can you blame him? All those birds and then this, directly across from him. 
His expression is priceless though. Too bad he wouldn't stay still. 


Definitely foodpets.

While I didn't see dogs (possible foodpets), I did see accessories for them.


Pleasant Goat strikes again!

Speaking of accessories, in case you need something for your fish tank.


These reminded me so much of the figurines that used to come in Red Rose tea.


A unique aerator, certainly not found in Red Rose tea.

You might need food for your various critters.


There were assorted feeds or...


... good ol' fashioned grubs. Definitely food, and usually food for pets (there's a twist!) because I haven't seen anyone keep them as pets...yet.


I saved the best for last, the fighting crickets!


These are a big deal in the Chinese culture. They are not as small and musical as the first ones we saw, nor as huge as the following ones. They are rather medium size and bred for their jaw size and ferocity.
There is no shortage of fascinating information on fighting crickets on Wikipedia, but I am too tired to paraphrase it for you. Here you go instead, you're all big boys and girls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crickets_as_pets

Check it out as it does make good reading and even I, yes even I, learnt something. While we were touring in the market, we did see the three types of traditional cricket homes. Ha! There you go! I hope I piqued your curiosity. One moment while I finish reading the Wikipedia article. 

I'm back. Here's a shot of a potential customer tickling a fighting cricket to see how feisty it is. I love how the boxes have holes especially designed for that purpose.


By the way, you have to bring your own tickling straw. If you didn't, no problem. They do have them for sale. What a surprise!

Once you have assessed how scrappy you think your cricket will be, you can take it out of the box for a mild trial fight.


If you haven't brought your own flashlight to get a close look at the trial fight, you can buy one there, of course.

This is the type of cricket all other crickets should aspire to:


Ferocious! Look at those mandibles!

There were more than a few books written and DVDs made outlining the pedigree or feats of different superstar fighting crickets. 


Fabulous title! More action than I can stand.

Once you have finally selected your cricket, you don't want it to lack for anything-food, dishes, special cages, lighting. Hey! Don't laugh! There have been famous, mighty fighting crickets who have even been buried in miniature coffins. No "burial at sea" for them.

Accessories for your fighting cricket.


You have your tickling straws, your little metal feeding spoons, your feather cleaners (for the cricket, silly), more feeding spoons and ticklers (again, for the cricket, silly). In front are various styles of cricket food dishes. 

Now, you remember what I saw that man working on when I was nearing the Insect Market? Yes, those clay pots.  Good memory. Here they are again.


By the end of the tour I knew what these containers were used for. These are the jars the crickets fight in. They have to be absolutely smooth on the inside so that no cricket can unfairly gain a foothold and therefore leverage power against his opponent. That's why the man was so diligently smoothing down the insides. Aahhhh.... See? We all always learn something. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know we don't have any fish, but Chris would like an "aerator"... he killed himself laughing!