Friday, January 21, 2011

Patels in Phuket-Part Two December 2010

And now for something completely different.
Let me tell you about my muay thai training session.
I was in Thailand. You know I had to do it.  


MUAY THAI GYM

Yeah, baby! Thai boxing!
BRING IT!!!


The open air gym
So exciting!
I was there bright and early for the 8:00 am class.


No Canadian flag?!?
Yeah, I was the only female there. 
I was also the oldest person and the only one who brought their own hand wraps.


Let the games begin....



My trainer looked terrified...NOT.
Yes, these photos were staged after the training session,
but I was doing all these moves and more.




Normally I don't smile when I spar.


This move was one of my favourites and I had the bruises to prove it. 

I also flipped my trainer a couple of times because he made me fall when I was kicking him. He grabbed my leg and pulled me off balance. He did that a few times and then I said, "O.K., if I'm going down you're coming with me." So much fun.

Again, I'm scaring my trainer...as if!


I was such a sweat ball after the 90 minutes. 


I had SUCH a good time! I would do this again in a heartbeat!

THE AFTERMATH

I told you I had bruises!



Proud of them, doncha know!

I was just glad I didn't wreck my knees from hitting the body bag which must have been filled with damp sand. Yowzer! 

Of course, I had to return to the gym to purchase a pair of those flashy muay thai boxing shorts. Rakesh came with me this time. 

This is the tuk-tuk we took. Say that five times fast.


Enjoying the ride



The shorts


These purple beauties will definitely be worn to a ManuLife Body Combat class in the spring.



THAI TEMPLE

Before you think all I did was beat up my trainer and lounge on the beach, I also took in some of the local sights. There wasn't a lot of the non-touristy variety, but I did manage to see this temple which was very close to our resort. There was a school attached to it as well...the temple, not our resort, silly!

The front gate


The back gate


An outbuilding, not sure what it was actually except huge. 
This picture doesn't do it justice. 
The lamp posts give you an idea of size.


Close up


Dragon on the stairs
This helps to give you some gist of the scale.
Where are people when you need them? Toto, I have a feeling we're not in China anymore.


Side view with more dragons


Detail from a column


A building under construction

A tower ? Sure, why not?


A tree with offerings underneath its branches


Another building on the temple grounds


Close up


Closer...


Closer still...
Talk about ornate!


A god


An Easter egg?


It would have been nice to have had a tour guide to explain things, but there you go. I still enjoyed seeing everything. A day without a temple is like a day without sunshine...



THAI MONEY

I always think the local currencies are very cool. 


A Thai toonie!





LAND AND SEA
ELEPHANTS AND DOLPHINS 

Yes, we went on an elephant ride in the jungle. We also did a day sailing trip. I hadn't been this active outside in a long time!


Getting the elephants' howdahs good and snug.
Aha! I bet you didn't think I knew that word! Not often I get to use it.


Getting on to the elephants was interesting.



Glad they had a platform
Off we go!







Subtle


Rubber tree 
The Thai version of tapping a maple tree?




Lurching up the steep, steep hill

Didn't take long for the shirts to come off




Stopping for water


Now, in no particular order because everyone was taking pictures with my camera, 
random photos of us on elephants.




From all angles!









Hare as Mowgli


Canadian Maple Leaf pedicure making a reappearance



The day sailing trip was overcast which worked out well because we didn't sizzle like sausages in the sun, but it meant the visibility while snorkelling wasn't the best. Here are the photos from that day.

Jay in the shuttle that took us out along the dock to the boat


Mangled English, it's not just for China any more.


The boat
Biggest catamaran I've ever seen


Rakesh and his Reluctant Relocator
This looks like a "Love Boat" moment.



Heading out on the Andaman Sea


The crew hoisting the mainsail


Looking back at Phuket
I can make it out because I know what to look for...
there is a gigantic statue of Buddha on the highest point.
You'll have to trust me on this.


All the excitement was too much for Jay to handle.


Hare


Yours truly


Long boat 
Such a descriptive name


Sailing!



Fruit platter



Flower garland on bow 


For those of you into teak or had to clean a lot of it as children, I offer you these shots. 









That fuzzy white blob in the distance, centre, is a cruise ship.
Yes, it was that huge.


Guess what we saw?!? It was so thrilling!


Dolphins!!!
Loved them! And so does a very dear friend of mine. 









I couldn't believe how fast they swam! They were so swift and agile!


An exclusive island




 Rakesh and Jay



I opted for a far less strenuous activity




So did Hare





Glamour shots, courtesy of Rakesh




Back at the shore 


Art shot



DINNERS

What's a vacation without eating the local cuisine? While we weren't brave enough to sample the food from the street stalls, we did enjoy lunches from beach "restaurants" and dinners from some amazing spots.

You know at some point in your tropical vacation you're going to indulge in one of these. 
Yes, you are and you may as well get it over with early on in the trip.


"Real" Thai food in a "real" Thai restaurant




A dinner on the resort property




Another local restaurant, "The Bamboo Kitchen"
A-1 service and great food


We even had a sommelier!
Fan-cee
His tools of the trade
I thought of you, Dad.


Appetizers



The whole fish and nothing but the fish,
so help me cod.



Best value ever! We had appetizers, main courses, desserts and a bottle of wine, all for $114 Cdn. We went there for dinner three times.

Jay turned 20 in Thailand. 
How's that for memorable? The resort staff surprised him with a cake.


Jay's cake which segues smoothly into...



Jay's 20th birthday celebration in Shanghai...

No comments: