Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Elizabeth lunches with the ladies Sept 23, 2010

I'm afraid "lunching" has become a frequent activity. In the early weeks of a move, I guess it's justifiable as a way to develop friendships.

Someone please stage an intervention if you notice that all I do is go out for lunch.

This luncheon was given by the American Women's Club of Shanghai (AWCS). As the name suggests, the AWCS is for women only. I now cut and paste shamelessly from their website:


The AWCS is a social non-profit club focused on enriching women’s lives while living in Shanghai. The Club supports social functions such as monthly luncheons and coffees, cultural day tours and evening events as well as soft fundraising for local community outreach groups in Shanghai. The Club's members are comprised of women from the international Shanghai community.


...which is how they let a Canadian in to the club. 


What is it that Groucho Marx said about joining a club that would have him as a member? 


I, however, did not refuse joining this particular club. I need all the group activity and potential connections I can get.
The lunch was at a restaurant called The Hamilton House, whose claim to fame is its location in an Art Deco building near the Bund.


The ladies who lunch, restaurant side


The bar side

Both photos taken from the balcony



The bar, ground level


Sleek, yes? I can't believe I took this one! It looks professional!

Now the meal itself. I hope you already ate!


Fig and goat's cheese tart
Not really a tart, but delicious nonetheless
Yes, I ate the greenery


Seafood ravioli with basil vinaigrette 
Definitely not Chef Boyardee


Pistachio nougat parfait, deconstructed

Now you know why I need to go to the gym on a regular basis. I met some interesting women and also spent time with Tamara, the person I had gone to Moganshan Artists' area with. It's a small expat world. 

Outside the restaurant, across the street, there was a fellow making these grass animals. There's a skill!


I was the only one to take photos. Spot the newbie. I don't care. I will maintain that my child-like curiosity is charming and refreshing. 




It's a dragon. I guess it self incinerates when it breathes fire. 

There's always something interesting to see in Shanghai.

No comments: