Thursday, October 14, 2010

Elizabeth visits the City God Temple Sept 27, 2010

Remember me telling you all about the City God Temple? Yes, you do! It's the temple that is at the centre of the Yu Yuan Bazaar and near the Yu Yuan Garden. Remember now?

I wasn't able to visit the temple the first time I went, but I had the chance to go again, this time with a tour group and a professional guide, Lily. She is a native Shanghailander. Yes, that's what they're called. I'm not making it up. I read it in a book. Fine, I'll double-check it later. I really learned a lot from Lily and she was very receptive to my numerous questions. Yes, I did take notes.

First, we went through part of Yu Yuan Market to get to the temple. This is the famous teahouse and, as I found out from Lily, much to my disappointment, the only original building in the whole market area. That's correct. All those buildings in my previous post (Yu Yuan Market) are reproductions. Ah, the disillusionment...but I still think they are beautiful.




Old and new together



This teahouse was originally in the Yu Yuan Garden itself, but when they rebuilt the garden, it was not included inside the walls. I don't know why, but I didn't have the heart to ask Lily yet another question. 


50 points to the person who remembers what this is....that's right!
The famous steamed bun restaurant where I had lunch with Susan.




Crossing the Nine Zigzag Bridge




Another angle of the mosquito farm, I mean pond



Still on the Nine Zigzag Bridge
I count five zigzags


Spewing dragon




Looking back at the restaurant, still on the Nine Zigzag Bridge


Finally! We were at the entrance of the City God Temple
Lion-male or female? 
Do you remember how to tell the difference? What?!? You haven't been taking notes?!?


The courtyard with its incense burner
Woman with incense sticks foreground, right


The City Temple god
You get an idea of its size by the man standing to the right



His cronies, off to the side
There was another set on the other side



Close up of the figures on the other side of the City Temple god
The one with the bowler hat reminds me of Charlie Chan

Check it out


But I digress....


Bell in the Temple
Again, check out person at very right-hand edge of photo for scale



The god of my year, specifically, and a few more Years of the Tiger.
There were huge, long cases of these statues on both sides of a long hallway.
Selfishly, I was only interested in my year.


God of Wealth
Sorry for the glare


God of Literature 
Less glare, I am making progress in all areas


Another rendering of the City Temple god

He, Qin Yu-bo, was just an administrator who did such a good job that when he died in 1373, he was made a city god. From what I understand, anyone could become a city god, provided they were worthy. 


His wife, Madame City God 


I don't know how to describe these....there was a column in the hall with these little containers encircling it. I had exhausted Lily at this point, so forgive me. Each container held a tiny golden Buddha and  red piece of cardboard with writing on it. I think you could buy the little pieces of cardboard and write a wish/prayer on it and then insert it into the container. Maybe my Mandarin-reading friends can make out what is written in this picture.


Still so much to learn

No comments: