Monday, October 25, 2010

Elizabeth's second full day in Tokyo Oct 2, 2010

Yes, the family is still with me! This is my blog though, not theirs. They need to write their own.

Today we tackled the Tokyo subway system. Before I start, I have to give you some background on the Shanghai subway system, the one we're now used to.


For starters, my reloadable Shanghai Public Transportation Card. I can use this on buses, subways, ferries and taxis. Why the sticker, you ask? So that I can make sure that an unscrupulous taxi driver doesn't take my loaded card when I pay and hand me back an empty card. They all look alike, you know. I also get back my 30 RMB deposit on the card when I return it...in 3 to 5 years, or whenever we repatriate, but that's a whole other story...You do remember the title of my blog, right?


The Shanghai subway system. I know. How many lines do we have in TO? Fortunately, the most difficult thing about this system is figuring out where your terminus is. The signs are bilingual and everyone, even total strangers, are very helpful. Torontonians, take note!


These illuminated bilingual signs of the specific line in each train above every door help as well. If only the buses in Shanghai were this user-friendly.

Now on to Tokyo....

Here's what the Tokyo system looks like


In case you didn't fully appreciate the complexity, here's a detail


Yikes!!!

To make matters even more complicated, there are two companies that operate the subway system! Their lines sometimes overlap, sometimes not. The companies have different signs, different fares...And all this is mostly in Japanese! Imagine that!

Fortunately, we are brighter than the average bears (Just "bearly"! Ha ha, you get it?!? I must be tired.), the Japanese people are helpful, as are our fellow tourists, plus we have two teenage children who know it all.

We figured it out.

Where was I? Right, our day's adventure.

We decided that we would revisit Omotesando and then also see the Harajuku district. Everyone had had enough walking the previous day, which was why we took the subway this day.

I noticed these structures on the street.


This is a smoking "booth" where smokers are encouraged to smoke rather than walking and smoking at the same time.

I loved the illustrations on the booth.


Very informative! I had no idea the lit end is 700 degrees C.


Never realized that before.



The Japanese take anti-smoking to a new level. 

I'll spare you all the shopping the kids inflicted on Rakesh and me. If only we had been spared.

We proceeded to Harajuka Street. I had never seen children used as accessories before.


Think this kid has posed before? I wonder how long it took the mum to get him/her ready to go? Gee, and I was happy if my kids had a shirt on for church, let alone being coiffed and colour co-ordinated. 


Time for a nutritious lunch of waffles with any, ANY, topping that you want. We really enjoyed these waffle stands, perhaps too much. 

More shopping...(suppressed groan)

Another hidden temple on our way to the Shibuya area. This is the Chosenji Temple. I was taking notes.




Little statues...
....wearing scarves???
What are they? Canadian? I wish I knew...


I still have so much to learn.

We continued on to Shibuya, a youthful, trendy area. All of Tokyo seemed that way, though. All the men wore black suits, all the women dressed elegantly, if they weren't Harajuku-types. You'll see later.
Shibuya is famous for having the busiest scramble crossing. 


I think scramble crossings are the best. I love all the action!

Shibuya is also famous for having a statue of Hachiko. Who or what is that? 

Let me tell you the story of Hachiko. Hachiko was an Akita, a Japanese breed of large dog. He was bought as a puppy by a professor. Every day, Hachiko would go to the train station, Shibuya, to greet his master when he returned home from work. Hachiko and the professor continued this routine a year. Then the professor died and obviously did not return. 

***KLEENEX ALERT***

I can't go on. I'm going to let Wikipedia tell the rest of the story while I, I mean you, go get some Kleenex...

Hachikō was given away after his master's death, but he routinely escaped, returning again and again to his old home. Eventually, Hachikō apparently realized that Professor Ueno no longer lived at the house. So he went to look for his master at the train station where he had accompanied him so many times before. Each day, Hachikō waited for the return of his owner.
The permanent fixture at the train station that was Hachikō attracted the attention of other commuters. Many of the people who frequented the Shibuya train station had seen Hachikō and Professor Ueno together each day. They brought Hachikō treats and food to nourish him during his wait.
This continued for nine years with Hachikō appearing precisely when the train was due at the station.


I'm O.K. now...

Nine years! Nine years he kept coming back. Hachiko died in 1935. His body is stuffed and on display at a museum. The statue was erected in 1934 and became a national symbol of loyalty. 

The real Hachiko


Adorable!

The kids had had enough fun at this point, so they headed back to the hotel. Rakesh and I struck out on our own. We found a quiet cafe tucked away in a treed neighbourhood where we had a well-deserved break. No shopping involved.



I thought about ordering this soda


Yeah, baby.

Recuperated, Rakesh and I started walking back to the hotel and caught a protest on the way. The Japanese were demonstrating against the Chinese claim to the Senkaku Islands. Actually, China and Taiwan are both claiming these uninhabited islands in the East China Sea, but that's a whole other post. 



Even when demonstrating, the Japanese seemed polite and well-dressed.


Rested some more back and the hotel, then we all took the subway to the Ginza area for dinner. These are some of the intriguing sights we saw along the way. 


Different styles of architecture all together


Cool window displays



Big crab


Big fish

Ginza was not as flashy and neon-lit as I had expected, but the area had some very chic stores and interesting pedestrian-only side streets.


A famous Ginza landmark, the Wako Clock Tower


We had dinner at another well-known Ginza spot, the Mitsukoshi Department store. Well, not the store itself, but a restaurant in the building. It was a teppanyaki restaurant, the type where your meal is cooked in front of you on a big, flat iron grill the size of a small table. You've seen this before, I know you have.



Ah, yes, you did know what I was talking about. 
This was not our dinner, thank goodness, there was tofu on the grill. Blech.

This was our "amuse-bouche" 
(I wonder how you say that in Japanese?)


Crunchy, vinegary vegetable salads of some sort

Followed by...


garlic cooked in front of us for our...


beef and...


prawns



Bon appetit!



Happy, or what?

Dessert was...different...traditional, I guess. The Japanese do bake, but we didn't have that kind of dessert.




Shaved ice to which one added red beans. Yep. At least I can say I tried it. 

We took the subway home. Vivian was feeling strong. It must have been the been the beef.



We got the subway a little distance from the hotel so we could see a bit of the area.

Goofin' around...




I told you we were staying in a nice neighbourhood!


More to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David