Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Double dose of culture Nov 17, 2011

"Heritage Salon at the Fairmont Peace Hotel with Spencer Dodington lecturing on Art Deco in Shanghai, 1929-1945", the email read. How could I resist? It included everything I adore, a fabulous, elegant location, canapes and drinks, and a fascinating speaker.

You must think I am the president of the Spencer Dodington Fan Club. He must think I am a stalker! Either way, I don't care. This was an event I couldn't miss. With Rakesh in tow, we headed over to the Puxi side for what would turn out to be a very memorable evening.

We first listened to Spencer speak on his pet topic. Then, cocktails and delicious canapes in hand, the group went out onto the 10th floor roof top terrace of the Fairmont Peace Hotel. If you are a regular reader, you're up on this landmark location. If not, you've probably already figured out that this is a very swish hotel.

The weather co-operated; it was warm with lots of atmosphere. Here are my most artistic photos to date.


Looking north up the Bund


Pudong across the Huangpu River looking very misty and romantic


The pyramid roof covered in copper.
Note the people in front to give you an idea of scale.


Close up of roof detail

I thoroughly enjoyed this glamourous, intellectual and social evening. 
I've already signed up for the next Salon event.

No comments: