Thursday, December 22, 2011

Elizabeth gets outdoors Century Park Dec 9, 2011


Today was the day I finally visited Century Park, the largest park in Shanghai and one that is actually in my neighbourhood. I can't believe it took me this long to go check it out, but you know how I am. I try to avoid the great outdoors. My friend Eliza came with me. The crowds were held at bay through a combination of entrance fees, it being a week day and a temperature of zero degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit for my metrically challenged readers). That was cold for Shanghai! Eliza and I had the park to ourselves. 

Let's explore!

Century Park obviously has a big lake/pond. Whaddya call these things? Too small to be a lake, too big to be a pond. Time to invent a new word, how about "lond"? It sounds less rude than "pake" and "poke" was already taken. 


My friend Esther lives near the building with the flying saucer on the top.

You can see the famous Shanghai World Financial Center, 
aka the Bottle Opener, in the distance.


Canada is everywhere! Who knew that Montreal was twinned with Shanghai in 1985? You do now! This, like the sign says, is the Montreal Garden, built in 2010. A decade earlier, Shanghai had built a Chinese Garden in Montreal. What a nice thing to do for your twin city. You are SO going to win at the next Trivial Pursuit game, which was invented by Canadians, probably so we would be forced to remember achievements made by Canadians, who are usually too modest to mention them. 


Yours truly, the Reluctant Relocator, was all Canadian-ed out, too. 
That was a fortunate co-incidence! 


Recognize that piece of landscaping at the far right?
Yep, the mascot of the Juste pour Rire (Just for Laughs) Comedy Festival.


 A live green depiction of the Montreal Jazz Fest
My Canadian jazz hands.

You figure out the next one!


Yes! Cirque de Soleil! 


Wider view

Last one, the Montreal Film Festival



No, being reminded of home and the great times I experienced in Montreal this past summer with my friends Linda and Eliza and the my two sons didn't make me cry. Honestly. I must be getting tougher. 

No comments: