Thursday, February 17, 2011

Elizabeth volunteers...again! Feb 15, 2011

Finally! I had the chance to do what I had heard about way back in November....? December...? Anyway, the initial information meeting had been a while back and I was eager to get going.

On what you ask? You guys pose the best questions! On my volunteer assignment as "baby accompanier". A better title fails me now.

What is that? I accompany a fellow volunteer and baby, or babies, on trips to the hospital where a doctor checks up on the baby/babies.

Who are these babies? They are orphans who live at the Shanghai Healing Home, a home set up by an American that takes in abandoned babies who have cleft lips and/or cleft palates.

Here's their website and info:

www.shanghaihealinghome.com

The Shanghai Healing Home’s mission is to assist the local Chinese Children’s Welfare Institute by providing pre- and post-surgical care to abandoned babies suffering from surgically correctable deformities. Shanghai Healing Home provides a family-focused, home-like environment that meets not only the babies’ physical needs but also their emotional and social needs as well.

Why am I going? First, purely selfish. It makes me feel good to be needed and doing something useful. Second, they need another pair of hands during these doctors' visits. These babies can get up to mischief!
Take a look at Benjamin.

Too cute! I had to post them all!


Future doctor? 


Medical equipment sales rep?




He has obviously had one surgery already.
It sometimes takes two to fully correct the face.

This little fellow I was holding is Xian. He is still not strong enough for surgery. He was sound asleep until I had to undress him and the nurses gave him not one, not two, but FIVE shots. Poor baby! I he was very brave. Xian has the most beautiful eyes and is quite the chatterbox. 


It's been a long time since I had to change a diaper or had baby drool on my shoulder. 
It was all wonderful. 
I can hardly wait for next Tuesday when we have appointments again.

1 comment:

Paula said...

What a great thing to do!!! So cute!