Thursday, December 23, 2010

Elizabeth "Christmas lunches" one last time Dec 9, 2010

It's all right, don't cry for me. I'm sure there will be more lunches in 2011. I'll survive a few weeks without a midday gourmet meal from a high-end restaurant. 

This luncheon was given by the Shanghai Expat Association (SEA) at the Jean-Georges restaurant, a glamourous establishment on the Bund. 

The table setting 
A lot of glasses...it was a wine tasting lunch, after all. 
That just meant a different wine matched to each different course.


The room


First course-my choice
Champagne mango salad, goat cheese, black olives and frisee
Better tasting than it looked


First course-my neighbour's choice, hence the angle
Foie gras brule, dried sour cherries and candied pistachio


 Main course-my choice, my neighbour's was the same
Grilled beef tenderloin and crunchy potatoes, smokey tomato compote


Dessert-everyone's choice, can you blame them?
Jean-Georges chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream


To top it off, handmade chocolates
Now you know why I go to the gym, just roll me out of there.


I saw the kitchen as I was rolling out...


...and the rows of shiny dome covers.
I really like the repetition of that shape.

The second floor atrium
Looking across...


...and looking up with better lighting


The elevator foyer ceiling


This was almost a combo lunch/photography tour. 
The architecture was fascinating. 

It was quite the luncheon. Jean-Geroges isn't exactly in my snack bracket, so I probably won't return until next year's festive meal. Good thing there are tons of other restaurants to check out! 

1 comment:

jenn said...

Hi elizabeth! Happy New Year! The photography and lunches look fab! I've just been able to find you on my blackberry, my only net connection vehicle! Xoxoxo will try more later! Jenni