Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Elizabeth drags Rakesh on a tour Dec 4, 2010

Rakesh was a very good sport about accompanying me on this Shanghai Expatriate Association (SEA) tour to the Lupu Bridge, one of the four spanning the Huangpu River. The Lupu Bridge is famous because it is the world's second longest arch bridge.

I will now quote from the Lupu Bridge brochure because it is informative and amusing:

"...the Lupu Bridge functions as a sightseeing attraction. The viewing platform...is installed at the top of its giant-bow-like arch lib [sic]...which enable [sic] sightseers to enjoy the 300-step-plus walk up the 'slope'.
Climbing the Lupu Bridge-one of the most modern wonders of the world...it also will be an unforgettableexperience [sic].
Getting ready:The experience begins with a comprehensive briefing and a full-prepared [sic] you.
Now, ... as you climb up... a breath-taking view is about to unravel before your eyes. 
Picturesque sights will be jumping into your eyes [I love that image!] all along the climb, upon reaching the climax, everyone will feel the fulfillment and enjoyment. [Hmmm. You supply your own comments.]

Believe you me, there will be Friday Funnies posted from this outing.

Onto the bridge, so to speak.

Here's a poster showing what we were climbing.


Exactly. Pretty steep and extremely high.

The bridge trusses at ground level. I hope I used the correct word.
Not ground, silly, trusses.


Here is the tower housing the elevator we took to the first platform.





Rakesh at the first platform, making sure he is a "full-prepared him" before the climb up the slope, which was fairly significant, especially when I look at it again. I find the older I become, the more jittery my stomach is with regards to heights, swings, spilt blood, medical needles, enclosed spaces...the list grows.

Anyway, I focused on the stairs and didn't stop for any photo opps 'til we reached the top. I am turning into a big suck, I know. My days of blithely skipping up bell tower stairs in old European cathedrals are gone. *Sigh*

At the top, looking back down the slope...be still my guts...


I have to comment on the excellent design of the steps which became broader and less steep the higher one climbed. It made it easier for me to focus on grabbing the railing with a death grip.

Ships heading to sea, taking advantage of the outgoing tide.



Looking up the Huangpu River



Overlooking one of the Expo sites to the east



Closer look
The building in the centre was the UK Pavilion, aka the Seed Cathedral, with its acrylic seed-filled rods


After I stopped clinging to the railing, Rakesh took the opportunity to snap me with the Puxi side in the background 


Yours truly with the other side, Pudong, now in the background. Those "picturesque sights jumping into your eyes" are the China Pavilion buildings. 

Let's see if it helps if I move out of the way. 


A little bit...


Closer look at the China Pavilion. Feel free to go to Google images if you really want to check out this building. I had another shot of it on my Expo post. Geez, that seems ages ago! 

Equal exposure time 


Going back down to safety as we know it.


Hope you enjoyed your bird's eye view of Shanghai! I don't think I'll be repeating it any time soon, but it would be a very good test of any anti-nausea medication. 

No comments: