Friday, December 10, 2010

Elizabeth visits a water town Nov 8, 2010

The name of this town is like a Mandarin tongue twister-Zhujiajiao. It's pronounced "chew jah je-ow" or thereabouts. I can refer you to a pronunciation website if you're truly interested. All I know is that I can't say it properly. What a surprise.

Zhujiajiao is an old village on the water (duh) and was founded about 1700 years ago during the Ming Dynasty. There are 36 stone bridges which cross the various rivers (I didn't count them). It is now famous as a tourist site. It's called Shanghai's Venice. Hmm. I guess once I go to Venice I'll be able to compare more accurately.

Anyway, I went there with my friends Cynthia and Eliza. Eliza had been there before so she was our "official" guide. Lucky her.

This was the first sight that greeted us.


I love the smell of fish drying in the morning.
Later, they were available for sale.


Hmmm.


Something more picture-skwee




Zhujiajiao was packed with tourists like me. I guess in that aspect it's much like Venice.

There was lots to do, like target practice.

Sharp Shootin' Smith


You should have seen her! There's something to be said for the NRA.

That was just one of the attractions in Zhujiajiao. One of the many others were the so-called hairy crabs, a delicacy from a nearby lake. They sound worse than what they actually were. I still didn't want to eat any of them. I saw the water from whence they came! That didn't stop others....


Poor little crabs! All tied up!

There was also sugar cane juice to imbibe.


Not as delicious as one would have thought, but he liked it.


So did Cynthia and Eliza.


I guess I was the only one rude enough to say "Blech!" Hey! At least I tried it.

This young lady was going blind practicing what is called De Feng embroidery. It is done with silk thread and is truly quite an art form. Some of the pieces that they craft are as equally lovely on the back as they are on the front. I don't know how they do it. 


After walking along the Great North Street, we popped into Kezhi Garden. 


The entrance

It's the fish viewing platform. I read it on a sign. Really. What else was there to do in ancient China?


Lots of water


This is the Baifu (bai-100, fu-bats)  Pavilion. Bats are considered good luck in China. Once again, I couldn't make this up if I tried. 


View from the Baifu Pavilion


Me doing my Asian version of riding a mechanical bull. 
If they're going to put these sculptures in a garden, they're just asking to have someone ride on them.
Yes, that's a windmill behind me. Don't ask me why.


More buildings on the water.
It really was a lovely garden, uncrowded, tranquil.



Where would a Chinese garden be without a Buddhist temple?



Prayers tied to tree branches


Lunch time!

If the dishes are wrapped in plastic, that must mean they're hygienic, right?


Pick a card, any card.


This was a very clever way to show "waigouren" (foreigners) like us what was on the menu.


We choose wisely. Lunch was delicious.

We continued our exploration.
Locals still live in Zhujiajiao. It hasn't been completely overrun by tourists.


I do think they were a little tired of the constant stream of people taking their picture.
Ha, ha, "stream of people", water town, you get it? I'm so punny.

Moving along, Eliza steered us towards Fangsheng Bridge.



Stunning pavilion enroute
More canal scenes


Close up
OK, just closer up


Still wending our way towards the Fangsheng Bridge.


Narrow streets with shops selling all sorts of items, like these.


What in the world?!?

A true close up


Some sort of trussed up meat, no idea what. It certainly was popular.

Now that I've traumatized you, especially my vegetarian readers, let me distract you with pretty details.



The bridge itself in the distance


Cynthia walking up the bridge.


View from the top of the bridge


Can you see another smaller stone bridge?
Let me help.


Looking at the other side of the river from the bridge


There was too much to see, of course, in just one day, and, you know I'm going to say it,  Zhujiajiao is a charming village I would love to visit again.

A parting shot


No comments: