Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Elizabeth does the Bund Tourist Tunnel Dec 6, 2010

The Bund Tourist Tunnel stretches under the Huangpu River from Puxi to Pudong, or Pudong to Puxi, if you like. It's supposed to be a high-tech, educational, multi-sensory trip in an unmanned tiny train car. The music and lights are billed as "futuristic". You'll see very shortly that this is not the case, but it's an activity that every self-respecting expat must do, just to say they've done it.  The cheesiness factor alone was worth the 55RMB (about $8CDN, pricey as far as tourist attractions go in Shanghai). My friend Eliza and I decided we would give it a shot so we could cross off "Bund Tourist Tunnel" from our To Do lists.

A portion of the introductory sign. 
This was an accurate indicator of events that were to unfold. 


This was just the escalator down to the mouth of the tunnel. You know the ride was going to be terrific if there was this much faux foliage. 


The mouth of the tunnel with the little tiny train cars.


Turning it around...the suspense was killing me!


Here we go! How futuristic was this!


Woo! I thought I could see 2012 from here!


Ooooohhh!!!


Aaaaahhh!!!


You have to image that all this was accompanied by the most unintelligible, disconnected commentary.


It just got better. 


I don't know if you can make it out in the photo below, I lack the skills and equipment, but there were three inflatable, flapping figures in the tunnel, similar to the ones you would see advertising a new discount store opening. Eliza and I could not figure out the reason for their presence, but they sure made us laugh.


No clue what this was, but it was a lovely colour. Just trying to get my 55RMB worth. You know me, frugal with a capital "C".


Finally! Something in Shanghai I don't need to revisit. Once was enough fun.

To Do List
Bund Tourist Tunnel




No comments: