Sunday, March 27, 2011

Elizabeth straps on the lunch feed bag again March 21, 2011

I know. What can I say? Somebody has to do it and I am willing to make that sacrifice. If it makes you feel any better, there was a lecture before the lunch. The lecture was "Chinese Customs" and the speaker outlined all the different traditions surrounding birth, death and marriage. I took notes. Really. I am that kind of nerd.

Proof that I'm not just all about the food.


With thanks to my cousin, Jenni, who gave me this great notebook before I left Toronto.
In it I write the Mandarin expressions and vocabulary I've learnt, the names of people I've met, the places I've been and the buses I should take. Yeah, I'm one of the few expats to take the bus in Pudong. I digress...

We waigouren (foreigners) had a lot of questions about Chinese traditions. I could have listened to the speaker all day, but then I would have missed lunch!

The talk and lunch were held at the URBN Hotel, a very cool boutique hotel and China's first carbon-neutral hotel. It is a renovated factory warehouse whose interiors are made of 100% locally sourced or recycled materials, whether reclaimed brick or antique suitcases. There. I feel virtuous now about having lunch. It really was a neat place.

The entrance


Part of the restaurant area


Where we ate, with the bar reflected, and yours truly.
Maybe I am improving at this photo taking thing.


My lunch, fish cakes


More importantly, my dessert, rhubarb crisp. Yum!


I really thought this hotel was cool. I will have to drag take Rakesh here some time.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Hi,Elizabeth,
I am sorry for not sending a note to you about Mum's trip --- thank you so much for inviting her, it's the talk of all our friends in London. The photos are fantastic too...well done and now Nicci and I will have to rethink our holidays....lol
Love'n'hugs
Patrick